LoTR Film (OT)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 09:38:59 EDT 2002

John Noble wrote:

> I have great fondness for Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of
> the rings" Although I do regard LOTR as canonical, and
> hated "Sword of Shanarra" as a cheap copy (I loved Lin
> Carter's description of it as "a war crime of a
> novel") I also think that anything that is worth

:-)

I generally use "Sword of Shannara" as an example when I'm distinguishing
between books I don't happen to like, and books that are intrinsically bad.

I quite like Brooks's Landover novels - I don't find them deep, but they're a
pleasant read, and the cultural background is sincerely modern American - but
after the first trilogy I have no wish to read another Shannara book...

Canonical?  I don't regard _anything_ as canonical, in a literary sense, I'm
afraid.  No, stronger than that.  I don't admit the validity of regarding
anything as canonical in that sense.

Philip.  (Who bought a copy of LotR a few months ago, but hasn't read it for
over 20 years)

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970