water-powered organs

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 09:33:27 EDT 2002

> It's not powered by a waterfall in Dalemark, but it's still neat:
>
> http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_603607.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery
>
> (unfortunately, _The Independent_'s search function is dead at the moment,
> so I can't locate the source article with consummate ease).

Sounds fun!  (Pun intended)

There is a way of producing compressed air with no moving parts except falling
water - you entrain air in a device similar (I think) to the water-powered
vacuum pumps used in school chemistry labs, and you can tap it off and use it,
with a head of water to provide the pressure.  (I think my parents know someone
who has a patent on part of this process).  I've often wondered whether this
could be used to drive a pipe organ.

But the famous organ in Dalemark was driven by steam, not by a waterfall...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970