OT: RE: 2nd hand DWJ

Tue Jun 11 11:25:19 EDT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:28:07 +0100 (BST), Chris R wrote:

>Is it a general trend, that 2nd hand bookshops aren't
>much on children's books? I've found several that are
>great for adult sf but none with much children's
>stuff.

In most cases it's because people tend to keep children's books.  Since most
secondhand stores get their stock from trade, it's not unusual for them to
have very small quantities of children's and YA books.  People don't bring
them in to start with, and the ones the store carries are purchased and then
not returned for trade.  I don't know if this applies everywhere or if it's
just the US, but it's something we learned from observation as well as from
research, because we are going to open a used book store someday.

At any rate, I've had the best luck finding DWJ at very large stores, such
as Powell's and Bookman's (in Phoenix, AZ), where they have such a large
inventory that their children's section is proportionately larger.  But even
at the smaller stores I seem to have pretty good luck at finding her books.
I got _Aunt Maria_, _Lives of Christopher Chant_, _Howl's Moving Castle_ and
_Homeward Bounders_ at Bookman's.  I think _Archer's Goon_ came from
Powell's.  _Fire and Hemlock_ was from a store in Texas; my friend got to
the MagicQuest _Perilous Gard_ first, but I beat her to the DWJ.  The irony
that it was those two titles was lost on me at the time.  I don't remember
where I got _Magicians of Caprona_ but it was used.  Paul Andinach of this
list sent me _Power of Three_.  I think the rest were all new.

Melissa Proffitt