Dancing the Maypole -- Nat & others

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Jun 11 10:53:28 EDT 2002

I just asked the following question (see paragraph in quotes below) on
Girlsown and got only one response, saying the expression wasn't in the OED.
Apparently, judging from what one can find on Google, "dancing the Maypole"
is common among pagan groups, but not so among other dancing folk (I hate to
call you mundane or anything, but you know what I mean!). Anyone else hear it
outside the pagan context? Is there any specific reason why pagans use this
expression?
"Is there a common phrase "dancing the Maypole," as opposed to "dancing
around the Maypole"? I've always heard "dancing around the Maypole" but a
friend asks if there is reason to use the other. I thought since there are
some folks here who know a fair amount about morris and folkdancing I would
ask."

Helen Schinske