Cart and Cwidder missing text LONG

Rowena Macrae-Gibson rowena.macrae-gibson at brunel.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 05:09:26 EDT 2002

Ok I've gone through my 2 copies of this, and the cuts all seem to be at
the beginning of chapter 2, that's pages 17-19 of my Puffin copy, and pages
14-15 of the Mandarin 1993 reissue. It may be that there are other edits
along the way, I only went through the parts that mentioned history, the
Adon, Hannart & Keril.

Manadarin:
And almost every earl in the land had some kind of claim to be king. Even
before the last king ruled from Hannart in the North, there had been
quarrels and wars, and the country showed signs of breaking into two. And
when the Adon, who was the last king, died, his heirs were not to be found.
Civil war began in earnest.

Puffin:
And almost every earl in the land had some kind of claim to be king. Even
before the last king took the kingstone and ruled from Hannart in the
North, there had been quarrels and wars, and the country showed signs of
breaking up into its separate earldoms. And when the Adon, who was the last
king, died, his heirs were not to be found and neither was the
kingstone. Civil war began in earnest.

Manadarin:
Since then the only rulers of Dalemark had been the earls, each in his own
earldom, with the lords under them. No one now wanted a king.

Puffin:  (spot the difference!)
Since then the only rulers of Dalemark had been the earls, each in his own
earldom, with the lords under them. At first, the earls of the South had
grouped together simply to stop the earls of Hannart from becoming kings.
And when the ordinary people in the South showed signs of wanting a king
from Hannart, those who dared say so were hanged. The earls of the North,
who were a more independent lot, became indignant at this and slowly
grouped in support of Hannart. Times changed. No one now wanted a king.

Mandarin:
You did not say anything that suggested you were discontented with the ways
of the South. The countryside was known to be full of spies and
informers, watching and listening to give warning of rebellious thoughts.

Puffin: (This is the main edit)
You did not say anything that suggested you were discontented with the ways
of the South.

That had been the latest in a whole series of uprisings. The first few had
been in North and South alike, and those had all been led by those claiming
to be the lost kings. The earls of the North had taken them lightly. Since
the mountains in the North always made rebels and criminals hard to catch,
the laws of Hannart and of Gardale had long forbidden things like taking
the families of rebles as hostages or laying waste their homes. So the
earls fought the rebels, parleyed with them and sometimes joined them.
Whatever their reasons, Clennen was fond of saying, 'The earls of the North
treated their enemies like men'.

It was different in the lowlands of the South. There were no hiding places
and no customs of mercy. The earls stamped out the false kings hard and
bloodily, and went on to slaughter the families of their followers. Then
they go together to impose new laws and terrible penalties for anyone who
rebelled again. And what happened was that rebellion died out in the North,
but discontenet and uprsisings went on and on in the South. The laws became
ever more severe. And this had its effect on the earls there. They became
accustomed to having the power of life and death over their subjects and
were scornful of the weak ways of the North. Yet they were also extremely
frightened of what the ordinary people might do to them, should an uprising
be successful. So they made more and more fiercer laws.

The result was that many people fled from the South to the North. There
they plotted further rebellion - or were feared by the earls of the South
to be doing so. The earls demanded that the North either send these people
back, or put them to death. The earls of the North came together and
replied, in a letter, which Clennan had made all his children learn by
heart. It was, as he said, a famous piece of history. 'What goes on in a
man's head', the earls of the North said, 'is his own business. We do not
hang him because he thinks he has a grievance. Nor, according to the laws
of Hannart, do we hand him over for another man to hang.' That had been
over fifity years ago, but, as Clennan said, it was still the same today.
And it showed the importance of Hannart. For, no matter what the
disagreement, whether over kings or common men, Hannart had always been at
the heart of it. Keril, the present Earl of Hannart, had helped to organize
the last uprising and spoken out against the South ever since. The earls of
the South hated and feared all the North, but Hannart most of all. The
countryside was known to be full of spies and informers, watching and
listening to give warning of rebellious thoughts.

So who edited Cart & Cwidder? was this suggested by the publisher, or did
DWJ want to make the 4 Dalemark books 'fit together' more?
I still think it's a great shame. I mean I can put up with the various US
expressions that appear in some of her books, eg pretzel packets instead of
peanut packets in Hexwood, or the odd sidewalk instead of pavement
elsewhere, but these cuts change the flow of DWJ's writing as well as
taking away plotpoints for the novel.

Thoughts, anyone?

Rowena Macrae-Gibson