Books to movies (was: The horror! The Horror!)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 11 00:11:36 EDT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

> I haven't read 'The Princess Bride' - but was it as good as the
> movie?

Was [thing] as good as [another thing that is almost but not quite
completely unlike the first thing]?

Oh, the actual Princess Bride bit, with Buttercup and Westley and co.,
is mostly the same. But the movie is about a boy being read 'The
Princess Bride' by his grandfather for the first time; and the book is
about a man trying to recapture the magic of his childhood, when his
father used to read 'The Princess Bride' to him.
They're two different things, and I wouldn't want to say which is
better at what it is.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."