(OT) RE: Adaptations

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jun 9 21:20:21 EDT 2002

Chris wrote:

ObDWJ, I think the most screen-translatable books of
> hers would be the domestic comedies, like Ogre
> Downstairs - lowish on sfx which certain directors
> (talking to you here, George Lucas) allow to take over
> the film at the expense of little things like
> character development, plot and a decent script. I'd
> like to see a Tom Stoppard film of HDM, but only if
> the studio keep their grubby hands *off* creative and
> casting decisions. HDM with, say, Gwyneth Paltrow and
> a happy ending would be a Bad Thing. *shudders*

That's funny - I think she would do Mrs Coulter really well - her English
accent has just the faintest touch of artificiality which would go well with
Mrs C's very brittle sort of feel.

> Chris
> Who is a New Zealander despite her yahoo.co.uk addy
> and currently flush with patriotism. Peter Jackson is
> a Great Man. (Actually, I have a theory that he's a
> hobbit, but that's another story.)

And yes, I agree with your hobbit theory. And that's not just because I am a
NZer too...