Introductions

Alex alex.mb at zoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 13:37:03 EDT 2002

Also a lurker I'm afraid, though I do read everything.

Name: Alex(andra) Murray-Brown

Married, 37 with no children though I do have a labrador named Hera
(pretentious) and four hens.

Residence: Shropshire thuogh I come from Merseyside originally via London,
Bristol and Dorset. I love DWJs references to Bristol in consequence of my
year in Bristol.

Occupation: part time teacher of \English, supposedly doing a PhD parttime
on E Nesbit but have done nothing on it for ages.

How I discovered the list: from the website though I wuoldn't have used
Google so don't know how I got there.

Favourite DWJ: Probably Fire and Hemlock though I love 8 Days of Luke,
Drtowned Ammet and The Spellcoats.

First DWJ: Wilkins Tooth when it fist came into a library folowed by The
Ogre Downstairs and Dogsbody. I have only owned DWJ since being an adult as
my family disapproved of the untidiness of books!

Favourite authors: Dear me, where do I start? At teh moment they are Joan
Aiken, Madeleine L'Engle, Margaret Mahy, Sharon Creech, E Nesbit, Anne
Tyler, Anne Fine, Philip Pullman, Cynthia Voigt, WIlkie Collins, Jane
Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, Charlotte Bronte, Kurt Vonnegut, Laurie R King,
Jonathan gathorne-Hardy, Emil Kastner, Susan Cooper, Pauline Fisk, Annie
Dalton, some Gillian Cross, some Jean Ure, L M Montogomery, Elizabeth
George, Georgette Heyer,  A S Byatt, Armisted Maupin, Doris Lessing,
Christopher Priest, Jeanette Winterson, Jane Gardam, Iris Murdoch, Barbara
Trapido. I HATE Dickens, I'm afraid and Emily Bronte and I have a bizarre
penchant for lesbian detective stories though I like Patricia Wentworth
(Miss Silver who wouldn't like that at all), Hazel Holt and Agatha Christie
too. When I was 10 he first adult books I read were Agataha Chrsities and
Georgette Heyers so they are ideal sickbed reading.

Favourite poets: ee cummings, auden, tennyson, spenser, adrian mitchell  and
many more...

Number of books owned: several thousand all messily dsiplayed (sorry mum).

Music: Laurie Anderson, Patti Smith, 70s David Bowie, Kate Bush, XTC (Both
recent albums have been great if you're into folk), P J Harvey (particularly
Dancehall at Lousepoint), Pixies, June Tabor, Leonard Cohen, The Strokes,
Dandy Warhols, Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Brian Eno (early not ambient), Stiff
Little Fingers, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, early Genesis, some Queen,
Pink Floyd, ELO (Only Out of the Blue and I know it's embarassing), some
Liza Minelli and Tony Bennett. There are many more but these are the ones I
play most. I am horribly ignorant of classical music.

Hobbies: reading, playing cds/records, watching Big Brother (I'm sorry but I
love it), hill walking, online Scrabble, am dram (though not for a while),
intersted in plants, animals etc etc since I've lived in the countyry and
have an anal desire to know exactly what I've seen. I HATE sports as either
a spectator or participant. Because I'm teaching at the moment I have no
time to do much as I spend all my time planning and marking. (Current Govt
policy is that you have to have a  plan for every lesson, detailing what you
are going to do in each 5 minutes - rant, rant.)

Hope that's enough. I have rambled on for ages.

Alex