Introductions

Neil Ward neilward at dircon.co.uk
Sat Jun 8 16:18:53 EDT 2002

Name: Neil Ward

Occupation: Information service director.

Age: 41

 Married: No

 Children: No

 I live in: London, UK

How I discovered the list:  Through the Chrestomanci Castle website.

Favorite DWJ novel: "Fire & Hemlock".

First DWJ novel:  Recently realised it was "The Magicians of Caprona".

 Favorite authors (besides DWJ):  Various, but according to mood, I like
John Wyndham, Iain Banks, James Joyce, JK Rowling, HG Wells, Susan Cooper,
George Orwell, Charles Dickens, Stephen Baxter, Agatha Christie.  I've been
through long periods of reading virtually nothing, so my tastes appear to
jump around.  At the moment, I'm still working my way through YA fantasy
stuff and recently read "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman and the
"Time" quartet by Madeleine L'Engle.

Reading at the moment: "Timescape" - Gregory Benford and picking at "The
Blind Watchmaker" - Richard Dawkins (non-fic, on neo-Darwinism)

Number of books owned:  Not that many - a few hundred, perhaps.

Favorite musician/group:  That's hard.  I enjoy stuff such as PJ Harvey,
Sonic Youth, Idlewild, Seafood, the late Pavement, The Pixies, The Smiths,
Stereolab, Ash.  I used to be a DJ/club promoter for this type of music, so
I have a decidely huge record collection and quite a lot of material by
relatively unknown indie bands.

Non-reading hobbies:  Although it's related to reading, I'm a moderator of
YahooGroups' Harry Potter for Grownups and its various spin-off lists.  I
don't get much time for other hobbies, but I like all the usual things:
going to the cinema, watching TV (I'm a slob, really), eating out, visiting
art galleries.  I get to travel quite a bit with my job, on and off, and
that can be interesting (I hated it, at first).  If I get time, I like to do
artistic things: I've just finished designing invitations for my brother's
forthcoming wedding.

Neil