Adaptations

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 8 05:09:46 EDT 2002

--- rohina at shaw.ca wrote:

*snip*

> > > will disappoint me. My brother says this is
> because
> > > I prefer the medium
> > > of books over film, and I think this is probably
> > > very true.
> >
> > I think it's more the case that you have developed
> > definite views about the story, so an adaptation
> tends
> > to be jarring.
>
> Well, no, I think my explanation is a lot truer for
> me. Because as a

Sorry, I was being presumptuous.

Films cannot
> ever do the things
> that I most enjoy about books, and to be honest, I
> would always much
> rather read than watch a film, if you get right down
> to it.

I agree.  I've found myself more and more reluctant to
watch movies on cable or at the cinema, even when I'm
curious or interested in the movie.  I keep wishing I
could just skim through it, satisfy my curiosity, and
move on without investing the time to watch it.  I
don't like being confined to the linear nature of
films, which go forward at a set speed.  With books, I
can look ahead, jump backwards, read slowly or
quickly, reread paragraphs, or skim past boring
scenes, and in general, spend as much or as little
time as I wish on the scenes and characters.

Kale