OT Horses

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 12:04:54 EDT 2002

On 7/6/02 4:45 pm, "jackie e stallcup" <jstallcup at juno.com> wrote:

> And I add my good wishes as well as the story of one of my first dressage
> tests.  My horse had done beautifully at home and even warmed up well at
> the show.  But as soon as he got into the arena for the test, he tensed
> up and then I tensed up and, well, it was very ugly:  He cantered a
> little, teeny, almost in place, tea-cup canter the whole entire test, and
> I couldn't get him to stop!!!  I came out of the arena quite disgusted
> and he immediately settled (of course), and a VERY nice lady said
> encouragingly, "you had some lovely canter transitions."  "Oh, thank
> you," I said, "but it was a WALK-TROT TEST!!!!"
>
> We've both gotten better since then.
>
> Jackie S.
> --
My first one was very similar - it was part of a one-day event, and my first
major competition.  I was in knots, and my horse was very nervy at the best
of times, so we happily communicated our nervousness to each other, with the
result that whenever it came to trot, Ashanti charged round, head stuck out,
nowhere near the bit, so of course I couldn't manage a sitting trot at all,
and at canter... then in the cross-country I think he refused almost every
fence... luckily it was a friendly competition!  We too got a lot better,
and got our red rosette for a dressage test six months later.

I so wish I had a horse!

Michelle