Introductions

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Jun 7 07:16:26 EDT 2002

> Name: Jennifer Rowland
>
> Occupation: Librarian- Electronic Journals Assistant
>
> Age: Nearly 27 (I'm trying to get used to being "late 20s".)

> Married: Definitely Not Married to a fellow Unitarian and fantasy reader.
>
> Children: Not yet.
>
> I live in: London. Things I'll miss when I manage to get out: Lots of
bookshops. Shops open until 8 or 10 pm. Lots of theatres. Chinatown. Lots of
museums. Easy to get trains to practically anywhere. Things I will not miss:
Crowds. Noise. Dirt. Crowds. The Tube, with special reference to amount of
breakdowns and lack of decent cooling systems. Crowds.

> How I discovered the list:  Can't remember- probably found Chrestomanci
Castle by a websearch.

> Favorite DWJ novel: Most of them... Howl, Deep Secret, Spellcoats or Witch
Week, depending on which I've read most recently.

> First DWJ novel: Charmed Life. I was given it as a child and came across a
few others of hers in the library a couple of years later, and was hooked.

> Favorite authors: Most of my favourite sf/fantasy authors are similar to
other listmembers'. ATM I'm waiting for books by DWJ, Garth Nix, Diane
Duane, Lois McMaster Bujold, Robin McKinley and Sharon Lee and Steve Miller,
and I also want a lot of out-of-print things, like Barry Hughart's Eight
Skilled Gentlemen and one of C.J. Cherryh's Chanur ones I missed. In
mysteries: Dorothy Sayers, Josephine Tey, Margery Allingham and Staynes and
Storey. General fiction: Jane Austen. Science, history, sociology, feminism,
essays/journalism, food writing: too many to even start.

> Number of books owned: If it's less than 1500 I'd be slightly surprised,
and if less than 1000 I'd be very surprised. More than half are still at my
mother's house, which is annoying (for me and her).

>Non-reading hobbies: I spend too much time on the Web and Usenet. Cooking.
Choir (second alto). Travel and going to the theatre, whenever I can afford
them.