Adaptations

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 05:12:57 EDT 2002

--- rohina at shaw.ca wrote:

*snip*

> I generally find that if I really like a book, then
> the film of the book
> will disappoint me. My brother says this is because
> I prefer the medium
> of books over film, and I think this is probably
> very true.

I think it's more the case that you have developed
definite views about the story, so an adaptation tends
to be jarring.

I used to read a lot of fanfiction, but I found that I
enjoyed the fanfics more when I didn't have much
exposure to the original material.  When I developed
my own ideas about how the characters would act, I was
less able to accept other people's visions of them.

In the case of Lord of the Rings, I never made my way
through the entire trilogy until after I saw FOTR.
The movie prompted me to read the books, and I was
better able to appreciate them as separate entities.
I do tend to be upset with the movie version of
Gandalf because of his naivete concerning Saruman and
the way he so humbly accepted Saruman's
tongue-lashing.

My one
> exception to this is The Princess Bride. I like the
> book and the film
> equally, and I think it has a lot to do with the
> fact that Goldman is a
> scriptwriter and so his understanding of the
> differences between books
> and films let him do some canny adaptation.

In my case, I tend to like the movie better because
the book seemed rather mean-spirited.

> I think also there is an issue of which you
> experience first - it is
> almost always better to see the film then read the
> book if you are going
> to end up liking both.

Funny thing--in the case of Ladyhawke, I have Joan D.
Vinge's novelization, but I saw the movie first.
However, I read the novelization more often, and after
a while, I started having my own ideas about how the
characters acted and delivered their lines, and
watching the movie wasn't quite as enjoyable.  I much
prefer my mental version of Rutger Hauer's character,
Etienne Navarre, to the way he portrayed him.

ObDWJ: Until the animated HMC comes out, the only DWJ
book that was adapted, AFAIK, was Archer's Goon.  Did
anyone see the TV series before they read the book?
What was your opinion?  And how about vice versa?  Was
the book or the TV series better, or were they both
good?  I confess I'd like to watch it myself, if
there's a copy making the rounds in the U.S.  (I
wonder if writing to BBC would do any good.)

Kale