The horror! The horror!

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 17:27:02 EDT 2002

If we all think hard enough I'm sure we can all think
of examples of movies that are better than book. Stan
Kubrik's "Dr Strangelove" was a far better movie than
Peter George's novel, upon which it was based, was
book. Hitchcock's "Psycho" did more than justice to
Bob Bloch's novel (although there were things in the
novel that it would have been nice to have in the
film. What is tragic is that when they remade psycho
they totally ignored the book. The two "planet of the
apes" movies I thought were both better than Pierre
Boulle's novel, although neither could be called a
faithful adaptation in any way.Also by Boulle; "Bridge
on the river kwai" too I thought better than the book.
Mind you most of these books I read a very long time
ago, when I was younger than anyone on the list (so
far), and rereading the books may change my opinion.
It is even possible to  find  depths in "Total recall"
that go beyond Dick's story - but as this was only a
short story that's probably cheating.

Jon Noble