Adaptations

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Thu Jun 6 13:44:27 EDT 2002

Oh, I definitely agree--I have been thinking this for days but haven't
gotten around to posting about it.  The Black Stallion is a visually
gorgeous movie and for me it is very emotionally evocative as well (I
always burst out crying at the race).  After seeing it some time ago, I
went back to the book and was shocked at how poorly it was written--much
more poorly than I remembered from devouring it as a child.  This is one
case where the movie far outstrips the book on a number of levels.  But
it's rare.

One other book/movie pair like this:  Do Androids Dream of Electric
Sheep/Blade Runner.  In this case, both are quite good examples of their
medium, but very different from each other, I think.  I like the novel
and I love the movie.  But I think that they are doing different things,
as befits their different media.

Jackie S.