Adaptations

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Thu Jun 6 13:03:00 EDT 2002

My favorite adaption, and really one of my favorite movies (at least
for the first half-hour) is The Black Stallion. The original book by
Walter Farley is OK, but it's one of those that reads easier when
you;re 7 than when you're 27. The director managed to capture the
spirit of the book and translate it into movie that you can watch at
any age.

I actually like Princess Bride better as a book. One of the things I
liked best about it (the side references to S Morgenstern and the
editing out of the boring bits when reading to his kid) are of course
left entirely out of the movie. On the other hand, my wife and I
quote at each other from the movie all the time, and never from the
book, so the movie apparently has had a greater impact on our reptile
brains...

Nat