recommended authors

Joe Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Thu Jun 6 12:16:21 EDT 2002

> Ha! At last! I attempted to recommend Mortal engines to the list at least
> twice a while ago and there was resounding silence in reply. (it was a while
> ago)
> Anyway, I just wanted to agree that it was brilliant, and after the darkish
> ending of HDM I could quite happily cope with the conclusion of ME.

I'm in the middle of this book in Waterstones at the mo. Can't afford
the €20, so I'm sneaking in to read a chunk at a time until they
kick me out. The premiss is mind-blowing (predatory cities) and the
execution reminds me of Joan Aiken and HDM crossed. V.
cinematic style (I know that's the other thread, but it's worth
mentioning that some books are more like screenplays than
others, so translation is smoother; this would be a good example).
Recommendation completely seconded. But I haven't got to the
end yet, so no spoilers please!

Joe