The horror! The horror!

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Thu Jun 6 08:08:50 EDT 2002

Just a short note on the complexities of books and their translations in
films:

Today, even plays written for the stage are seldomly put on stage completely
- an unabridged Shakespeare play would take more time a theater-goer would
like to spend. (I think I recall 4 or 5 hour for Kong Lear?)

On the Expo 2000 they played Faust, both parts, unabrigded. (It is argued
that the second part was never really meant to be staged, or possible to do so.
It certainly is done only very seldom) It took 21 hours! (They made some
breaks, but pulled it trough in two days.)

Bettina

http://www.gmx.net