recommended authors

Emma Comerford s369161 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 5 18:19:48 EDT 2002

Melissa:

>We don't have very many of her books here in the US--in fact I remember
>finding _Obernewtyn_ and thinking it was a "new" book.  I picked it up
>because I like that kind of story, and the cover was really nice.  I'm
>afraid I reacted to her style the way Robyn did, feeling as though her
>writing style was really intrusive...it leaves me twitchy.  I haven't read
>the rest.  I thought some of the characters were very interesting and, as I
>said, I like this kind of story.  I just couldn't enjoy reading the books.

After I wrote that recommendation yesterday I borrowed the fourth
Obernewetyn book _The Keeping Place_ from the library, and was surprised to
see wonderful reviews by Lloyd Alexander, Andre Norton, Charles de Lint and
Jeffrey Ford in the front. (I was surprised because, as Rebecca said, it is
enjoyable but not at the top of my list. Some of the reviews seem to be for
Obernewtyn only, which I don't consider to be her best book, as well.)
So the lack of enthusiasm from the list was even more surprising, as I'd
just convinced myself I might be missing something in the series!
Emma