Adaptations

Wed Jun 5 17:46:38 EDT 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:27:13 -0700 (PDT), Jon Noble wrote:

>--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
>>
>> I adored "Fellowship of the Ring."  Seriously.  I
>> had no complaints about
>> it. ..  But I have an acquaintance who did his
>> master's thesis on LotR and
>> was really disappointed, because he had a very
>> different image of what the
>> book was all about.  (To him, it was very
>> philosophical and religious.  I
>> think.)
>
>To me the religious and philosophical aspects of LOTR
>are in movie. To me they are not what the book is
>"about", rather they are what JRRT himself is "about"
>and they just inevitably are there in the book if you
>look for them, I don't know if Jackson deliberatly has
>kept the religious aspects of the book in the movie
>(will have to wait two more years for that), but
>LOTR_FOTR certainly hasn't excluded them.

This is what others in the discussion tried to suggest to him, but his idea
of what those elements *are* is very different from anything else I've read.
We (i.e. Jacob and I) had long discussions about the religious/moral
position of "Fellowship" and it was very satisfying; the philosophy, at
least, is intact, and it's still got that sense of deeper meaning I remember
from studying it in college.  This other guy just...I wish I could explain
his position better.  Maybe I will hunt down the relevant email.  He was
unusually inarticulate about it...sort of "it just wasn't what *I* wanted it
to be" and was very concerned that in the future everyone who read the books
would have the movie in mind, and would miss the essence that he believed
was there.  My point that people weren't seeing that NOW went by the way.

I hate to dismiss his ideas this way, but it really struck me as the kind of
position people sometimes get when they are deeply, personally,
intellectually and emotionally immersed in some book or project.  They spend
so much time analyzing it that they forget that not everyone has done the
same, and then get upset when other people don't share their (to them)
perfectly obvious opinions.  I think you can learn a lot from someone who's
become an expert on a subject, but it's difficult to tread that middle
ground between obtuseness and arrogance.

As an adult, I understand LotR on a deeper level.  But--have I mentioned
this? Probably--I have no memory of first reading the books; I'm told it was
when I was 8, but that seems a little unlikely; when I first remember
receiving the boxed set, I was eleven or so, and I'd already read them.  So
emotionally I'm still connecting on the adventuring level.  It's been
interesting re-reading the books as an adult and seeing all these other
meanings overlaying what I remember reading as a child.

Melissa Proffitt