Adaptations

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Wed Jun 5 17:40:32 EDT 2002

---Original Message From: Jon Noble
> To me the religious and philosophical aspects of LOTR
> are in movie. To me they are not what the book is
> "about", rather they are what JRRT himself is "about"
> and they just inevitably are there in the book if you
> look for them, I don't know if Jackson deliberatly has
> kept the religious aspects of the book in the movie
> (will have to wait two more years for that), but
> LOTR_FOTR certainly hasn't excluded them.

That's what *I* said (um, is it a big surprise that I'm on that list of
Melissa's, too?).  He didn't buy it because he wanted the religious and
philosophical nuggets *he* found to drill down into every aspect of the
movie.  A highly unrealistic and impractical expectation, IMO.  For one,
a lot of what he was looking for was in the way of personal
interpretation and I thought it kind of unfair to expect the producer
and director to have the same interpretation he did.

Jacob Proffitt