(No Subject)

Wed Jun 5 17:14:47 EDT 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002 16:14:39 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>> (I like you.  You're so direct. :)
>
>Thank you.  And you're not, apparently.  What you mean is that I'm (in the words
>of Will Venables - Hey! I got a DWJ reference in!) "a tactless bugger".  But
>unlike me you're far too polite to say so :-)

That's true.  BUT I actually do like that you're direct, because there's a
fine line between politeness and cowardice.  And I'm afraid I'm too often on
the wrong side.  So I admire directness...you tactless bugger.  :)

>> We are a very friendly lot.  Except for Philip.  :)  And me.  But I always
>> feel really bad about it afterward.
>
>Oh, I do too.  But not quite always - that depends on whom I've offended :-)

See, that's the other thing.  I *always* feel bad about it even when the
person I've offended honestly deserves a poke in the eye with the
metaphorical sharp stick.  I think it's a character flaw.

>> So what I'm wondering is, could there be some middle ground between mocking
>> and flaming newbies and just letting them flounder on their own?  For
>> example, a "welcome" message upon subscribing that suggests looking at the
>> survey results on the website, or glancing over the recommended threads, or
>> something?  I hesitate to suggest it because I know I wouldn't have to
>> implement it; it would be Deborah doing the work.  :)  I just wonder if
>> anyone thinks this might be valuable to new list members.
>
>Speaking for myself, I'm a fairly impetuous new member when I join a list,
>tending to jump into list discussions long before I'm ready.  I think some sort
>of welcome message with a couple of paragraphs on list conventions (do we have
>any?) would be very useful.  Anything longer, such as a typical list FAQ, might
>not get read.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Really, not having a FAQ is an
important distinction for this list, and I'd hate to have one.  Besides,
what on EARTH do we need such a long document for?  An introduction of
prominent list members and how to treat them?  PuhLEEEZE.

>There was some mention of creating some sort of "members' area" on the web site,
>with information about the people on the list in it.  A lot of work for poor
>Deborah, but would it serve the purpose?

Well, it's not like she's got anything better to--OW!

>For that matter, it's nearly a year since Ania posted her questionnaire on which
>we all filled in our innermost secrets ;-)  With all the new members we've been
>gathering lately, perhaps we could have another "brief personal details" type
>thread to introduce ourselves again...

Good plan.  You go first.  :)

Melissa Proffitt