recommended authors

Wed Jun 5 11:57:26 EDT 2002

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:51:38 +1000, Emma Comerford wrote:

>And I finally thought of an author who hasn't been recommended (I think) -
>Isobelle Carmody, who has writes young adult fantasy. I find it hard to be
>objective about her books as I read many of them when my taste in books was
>being formed (and so I tend to think of her, for example, as the original
>post-holocaust fantasy author - just as I tend to associate DWJ as the
>creator of the multiple worlds idea).  However, I do enjoy her books,
>although the first series she started - the Obernewtyn Chronicles - has not
>been finshed after many years (I think Obernewtyn was published in the late
>1980s, and the fourth book was published 1999), which is irritating,
>especially as she has also started another unfinshed series in the 90s as
>well.

We don't have very many of her books here in the US--in fact I remember
finding _Obernewtyn_ and thinking it was a "new" book.  I picked it up
because I like that kind of story, and the cover was really nice.  I'm
afraid I reacted to her style the way Robyn did, feeling as though her
writing style was really intrusive...it leaves me twitchy.  I haven't read
the rest.  I thought some of the characters were very interesting and, as I
said, I like this kind of story.  I just couldn't enjoy reading the books.

Melissa Proffitt