The horror! The horror!

Tue Jun 4 21:37:56 EDT 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 01:08:35 +0100, Ania wrote:

>Maybe it won't be truly dire, seeing as it's not only Stoppard but also the
>people who filmed LOTR. But I remember thinking when I first read HDM that
>it should never be filmed, because it would be bound to be inferior, if not
>dreadful. The Name of the Rose is a great film, but the book is so
>immeasurably superior! And, having in this case read the book first, I was
>irked by the hollywoodization (this looks weird) of the plot and all that
>was missed out, not to mention serious tampering with the plot. I fear the
>same is bound to happen with HDM.

That's kind of my fear, as well.  I can see them getting all of the physical
stuff right--the settings, the special effects, and have I mentioned that
the part I'd REALLY like to see filmed is that world from _Amber Spyglass_
with the critters on wheels?--but completely missing the philosophy and the
essence of the story.  And I'm not even a big fan of the books either; I
just dislike seeing an author's vision twisted.  I don't imagine they'd
actually Disneyfy the story, but...it's certainly possible, isn't it?

And what they did to _Name of the Rose_ is not even close to being remedied
by casting Sean Connery.  <shudder>

(Yes. Good movie.  If the book had never existed, excellent movie.)

Melissa Proffitt