Wolves

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Jul 31 22:48:50 EDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) wrote:

> _Dangerous Games_ was published as _Limbo Lodge_ over here, and _Is
> Underground_ as _Is_.  There is also _Cold Shoulder Road_ which follows
> _Is_.
Ah, yes. I knew there was another Is book that I was forgetting.

> I thought _Dido and Pa_ was the last good one, and they went downhill a lot
> after that.
I think the main problem was the switching of main characters. I mean, it
was sort of fine to have three (sets of) main characters in the first
three books, but then it seemed like things had settled on Dido...but then
wait! nope! Is gets to be the main character! I got the feeling that it
really wasn't that Dido had gone boring, because, well, she wouldn't have,
but more that Dido had gotten too old to be written about. And I say phoo
on that. Also, I want to know more about what happened to everyone
*afterwards*. Like, who did Simon marry? I know I always want to get
everyone married off, but hey.

(Also, it was very definitely one of the later books that had the channel
tunnel. It was cutting into "honest" smugglers' trade. And wolves
came. And they were right smack in London, instead of roaming around in
the woods like they should. Really, _The Wolves of Willoughby Chase_ isn't
about the actual wolves so much. In fact, I bet the title's a metaphor,
and I never got that before. Or at the very least I bet it's intended to
be a double meaning.)