Arthur Upfield and Inspector Bonaparte

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 31 22:34:29 EDT 2002

First of all, don't bother with the TV series, at least if you are expecting
it to be related to the books.
I read the series a number of years ago, after getting tired of Agatha
Christie. From my memories, I would recommend them. Good mysteries, decent
writing, a lot of scenes of an Australia you don't often get to read about.
I think I actually have a few of the books left in a box on top of my
bookcase. Hang on a minute...
Yes, there's 11 there but all have the alphabetical list. As I recall, the
order in which the books are read isn't vitally important.

Winds of Evil 1937
The Mystery of Swordfish Reef 1939
Death of a Swagman 1945
The Bone is Pointed 1947
The Widows of Broome 1950
The Mountains have a Secret 1952
Death of a Lake 1954
The Battling Prophet 1956
Bony and the Black Virgin 1959
Bony and the Kelly Gang 1960 (the 25th of his books)
Madman's Bend 1963

All references to the books seem to be generally favourable. Some of the
later editions include this disclaimer:
Part of the appeal of Arthur Upfield's stories lies in their authentic
portrayal of many aspects of outback Australian life in the 1930s and
through into the 1950s. The dialogue, especially, is a faithful evocation of
how people spoke. Hence these books reflect and depict the attitudes and
ways of speech, particularly with regard to Aborigines and to women, which
were then commonplace. In reprinting these books the publisher does not
endorse the attitudes or opinions they express.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au