Re Newest Bujold, Big Spoilers

Emma Comerford s369161 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 31 21:23:49 EDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Robyn Starkey wrote:

> >          Spoiler space

> Yes, the whole book was a little rehashy in a lot of ways, and didn't
> really add to the previous stories for those who had read them. I like that
> Bujold does write complete books, so in a sense it doesn't matter if you
> haven't read the earlier ones; but it is also nice when dedicated readers
> get rewarded.

I've finally read _Diplomatic Immunity_ and thought I'd chime in with my
agreement of Ven's and Robyn's opinions. ALthough there were good bits to
the book, it did seem rather like her earlier ones (espcially Cetaganda)
and was a bit of a let down after _A Civil Campaign_.  "Treading water"
was a good description! I read a review somehwere where someone asked why
Ekaterin's actions at the end where covered by a brief sentence or two,
rather than having them described (and thus contributing to our knowledge
of her growing character).
But I must say the birth scene was very touching!

>Mark and Ivan

Alas yes, either of these two characters would have been welcome! And I
was annoyed at the "awkwardly worded" message from Mark, as it implies he
hasn't cahnged much over the last year or so - he still feels
uncomfortable with their relationship.
But it was good to see Bel again, and see it's developing character.

Emma