I Capture the Castle (was Re: F&H, Garner and False Messengers)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Jul 31 19:39:21 EDT 2002

> >Thanks for the recommendations for "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie
> >Smith. Just spent a lovely weekend in Thunder Bay, Ontario on
> >holiday, reading that and Connie Willis' "Bellwether." Lots of fun.
> >Castle echoed to me as half way between Austen and Dean. Does this
> >seem fair to folks?

I can see parallels; not only the lit. atmosphere, and the slightly naive
(consciously, naive... wince, wince...) heroine but in the way the story
builds (seemingly) inconsequetial detail on detail. Both have identifiable
high concepts (Girl's "castle/lone tower" life is changed by the advent of
two Americans), (Janet's college experience is influenced by the latest
replay of an ancient story), and yet the actual happenings are almost all
slight. Each seems to be a brush stroke adding detail to an increasingly
complex picture. Then there's the gradual growth of understanding for reader
and heroine in each. Incidentally, I am using Tam Lin as the parallel here;
it's the only Dean book I've encountered.

Just re-read Tam Lin (using the annotations at
http://www.alittlebitofnotmuch.com/TAD/ ) and wrote to PD with a couple of
queries which I trust were *not* the usual suspects - and got a reply!

I *was* surprised.

Sallyo.