I capture the castle

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Jul 31 18:27:27 EDT 2002

In a message dated 7/31/2002 10:57:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Nat writes:

> Thanks for the recommendations for "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie
> Smith. Just spent a lovely weekend in Thunder Bay, Ontario on
> holiday, reading that and Connie Willis' "Bellwether." Lots of fun.
> Castle echoed to me as half way between Austen and Dean. Does this
> seem fair to folks?

I think you are (consciously, unconsciously?) echoing the conversation
between Rose and Cassandra where Rose says "Which would be better, Charlotte
[Bronte] with a touch of Jane [Austen], or Jane with a touch of Charlotte?"
[or maybe it's the other way around] and Cassandra, eager to get back to
writing, contents herself with "Fifty percent each way would be perfect." I
don't see much Dean-ish in it except the literary references, and lots of
authors do that. (It is fun tracking them down ... I can remember finding
Chesterton's dog Quoodle in a novel, I forget which one at the moment, at the
Carleton library.)

_I Capture the Castle_ is one of the books that I read and re-read constantly
from about twelve on ... _The Fountain Overflows_ (Rebecca West) is another
that was almost part of the inside of my head. I was disappointed to find
that I didn't much like what I found out about either of the authors as
people. Nor was I happy with the sequels to _The Fountain Overflows_, though
I liked bits of them. Probably just as well that there was never a sequel to
_Castle_, though the original version was much longer, and I would love to
see it someday.

Helen Schinske, returning from nearly a month in Oregon and California (btw,
Nat, I saw Andrea Webster, formerly Dawson)