F&H, Garner and False Messengers

Wed Jul 31 13:58:29 EDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:59:41 +1000, Kathleen Jennings wrote:

>The list has been very quiet, and now I've got time to say this, I'll say it
>and see if it's the list or my subscription.

It's extremely hot where I live, and I've had houseguests for ten days.  Now
I'm planning on a short camping trip that will nevertheless take as much
planning as a week-long one, groan.  I had to read three books in such rapid
succession that I currently do not wish to see another book for at least
another three days.  I think my brain has melted from the strain.

One of the books I read was William Nicholson's _Firesong_, because Hallie
was nice enough to loan it to me, and it was wonderful.  Good ending to the
series, though the emotional climax to _Slaves of the Mastery_ is pretty
hard to beat.  Another was _Eternity's End_ by Jeffrey A. Carver, for my
reading group.  I had mixed feelings about it, but ultimately it wasn't a
waste of time.  (This sounds like indifferent praise, but when you consider
that I was resenting having to read it because of the other two books which
I desperately wanted to read instead....)  Carver has been filling in spaces
in the history of his universe, and if this is the first book in the series
you've read, you can sometimes tell that's the case.  There were some
pleasant surprises and the milieu is interesting.  The last book was _Hard
Eight_ by Janet Evanovich.  I don't need to say anything about that, huh?

And that's what I read on my summer vacation.

Melissa Proffitt
(who has read many more books than just those three, of course, and is
keeping a faithful record)