F&H, Garner and False Messengers

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Jul 31 11:26:17 EDT 2002

It's the list. Up here in the middle of the northwest hemidemisphere
(just over 90 degrees W, 45 degrees N), everyone I know is too hot to
think. I know I am.

I'd say F&H deserves several rereadings. It's probably time for me to
reread it... Your comment about looking through the keyhole is
probably a mixture of the book and you. I found it took a couple
readings before some of the bits fell in place. On the other hand,
the book has a lot of shifty themes and subjects. The whole structure
is framed in remembering/reconstructing childhood, and a double
childhood at that. We see the whole thing through Polly's gaze, and
especially in the chapters leading up to her going to Nowhere, the
gaze is hazy (thanks in part to Laurel).

Thanks for the recommendations for "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie
Smith. Just spent a lovely weekend in Thunder Bay, Ontario on
holiday, reading that and Connie Willis' "Bellwether." Lots of fun.
Castle echoed to me as half way between Austen and Dean. Does this
seem fair to folks?

Nat