F&H, Garner and False Messengers

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 31 08:59:41 EDT 2002

The list has been very quiet, and now I've got time to say this, I'll say it
and see if it's the list or my subscription.
Mid-year 'holidays' are over and I have read Fire & Hemlock. I liked it... I
feel like I need to read it again, as if there are chapters or events that I
missed, that take place outside of the book. Like I was watching through a
keyhole and couldn't see everything. And I haven't sorted the ending out
fully in my head. Is this the book or me? The intertextuality was great,
though.
I read Garner's Red Shift, also. Loved the style, hated the story but after
a fortnight's distance I am beginning to appreciate it. I like happy
endings, or I should say satisfying endings, and sometimes it takes me a
while to rearrange my expectations (especially after a steady diet of
children's literature).
And many thanks in a sarcastic tone of voice to those people who warned me
against Tad William's false messengers. By the time everyone on and off the
list had finished I wasn't trusting even the sparrows. I did enjoy the
books, but by the end the minor characters were more interesting (and their
stories more heart-rending) than the main characters.
Read my first Edward Eager and loved it, especially the alternate ending to
Ivanhoe, reread Wolves of Willoughby Chase and think I have confused it with
another book (in which there are wolves and a train ride, but the wolves
have come to England through the channel tunnel - bells, anyone?). Have
bought the Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain and am severly rationing it.
And found Eight Days of Luke and Magicians of Caprona on sale, new, for $5
Australian each (which is good - roughly US$2.50). But those, too, will be
rationed (unless they have trains in them? I am way behind schedule on my
research).
Otherwise, life is bedlam, but that is not unusual. Am praying for the grace
to maintain a "peaceful and quiet spirit". This semester promises to be
exhilarating.
Regards to all,
Kathleen.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au