Re Newest Bujold, Big Spoilers

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 19 15:29:59 EDT 2002

>          Spoiler space

>                   SPOILER
>
>I fear that LMB is rather too fond of the
>Quaddies, their culture has that giveaway, model
>village feel. I wanted to see a lot more of the
>conflict of cultures betwen the Barrayans and the
>Quaddies but most of that happened offstage/in
>backstory. For it to be all the fault of a
>Cetagandan renegade seemed a bit of a cop out.
>What's more hadn't we already done the thing
>where the MacGuffin is genetic material in ethan
>of Athos!

Yes, the whole book was a little rehashy in a lot of ways, and didn't
really add to the previous stories for those who had read them. I like that
Bujold does write complete books, so in a sense it doesn't matter if you
haven't read the earlier ones; but it is also nice when dedicated readers
get rewarded.

>so much of Miles' head being sorted out now and
>Ekaterin being something of a paragon things
>might get a bit too cozy in the Vorkosigan
>family. Then I remember Mark, and Ivan.

There's what was wrong with this book - no Mark and no Ivan - comic relief
moments few and far between.

Robyn