Nnewest Bujold

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 21:01:44 EDT 2002

From: Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca>
Subject: newest Bujold

- --Boundary_(ID_w/em59MgioKMu8Q8GLzVqg)

I know this is a little OT, but I also know that
there are people on this
list who have read Diplomatic Immunity, and I
wanted to vent. I thought
Bujold's previous book, A Civil Campaign, was
really brilliant, and funny
and pushed the envelope of the genre a bit in
unexpected ways. DI was a
good read, but I felt it was going a bit
backwards, it was very like some
of the earlier stories, without new concepts or
excitements: a revisit of
the ideas from Ceteganda (one of my faves)
without the gender politics.
Also, I get the impression that Miles' character
has stopped developing now
that he has a wife, or maybe this book is just
treading water. Thoughts?

And, addressing that impossible question of my
favourite fantasy novel from
a previous thread, I would have to say that
Bujold's Curse of Chalion is up
there, great plot, and I love what she did with
the Gods.

Robyn

=====
Ven