shameless self-promotion

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Jul 18 15:50:03 EDT 2002

Diana Wynne Jones: an Exciting and Exacting Wisdom_ has just been
published by Peter Lang, several months early.  If you or your local
library are interested, you can get it from Peter Lang (
http://www.peterlang.com/all/index.cfm?textfield=teya&vResult=true&vDom=3&vRub=1060
), or order it from your local independent bookstore.

Note:

  -  I get no royalties for my article, just one free copy of the book,
     which...

  -  I won't get until late August, so I have no idea if the book is any
     good.  Though I assume it is.

  -  The articles are scholarly; this is not a casual fan book if you
     aren't into litcrit for kicks and giggles (I am -- go figure).  See
     the table of contents below for examples.

But hey, this is my first publication of anything other than book
reviews.  Wahoo!  (Actually, I published some poems in one of those
newspapers-for-kids that was around here when I was in high school.
They paid $10 for every poem they printed.  It kept me in paperbacks and
jolt cola.)

Info from the book description:

  Synopsis:  Diana Wynne Jones: An Exciting and Exacting Wisdom is a
  collection of scholarly essays examining the work of British author
  Diana Wynne Jones, whose prolific contributions to speculative fiction
  span the past thirty years. A contemporary of such well known
  fantastic authors as Alan Garner and Susan Cooper, Jones is also a
  clear influence on more recent writers such as J. K. Rowling. Her
  humorous and exciting stories, many published for children but read by
  all ages, are also complexly structured and thought provoking. These
  essays - written by academics and independent scholars from Australia,
  North America, Europe, and Asia - present a wide variety of approaches
  to and ideas about Jones's work. This book will be of interest to
  Jones's many admirers and to those who study or appreciate speculative
  fiction and children's literature.

  Contents: Teya Rosenberg: Introduction - Karen Sands- O'Connor:
  Nowhere To Go, No One To Be: Diana Wynne Jones and the Concepts of
  Englishness and Self-Image - Maria Nikolajeva: Heterotopia as a
  Reflection of Postmodern Consciousness in the Works of Diana Wynne
  Jones - Karina Hill: Dragons and Quantum Foam: Mythic Archetypes and
  Modern Physics in Selected Works by Diana Wynne Jones - Deborah
  Kaplan: Diana Wynne Jones and the World-Shaping Power of Language -
  Charles Butler: Now Here: Where Now? Magic as Metaphor and as Reality
  in the Writing of Diana Wynne Jones - Sarah Fiona Winters: Good and
  Evil in the Works of Diana Wynne Jones and J. K. Rowling - Martha P.
  Hixon: The Importance of Being Nowhere: Narrative Dimensions and Their
  Interplay in Fire and Hemlock - Akiko Yamazaki: Fire and Hemlock: A
  Text as a Spellcoat - Sharon M. Scapple: Transformation of Myth in A
  Tale of Time City - Donna R. White: Living in Limbo: The Homeward
  Bounders as a Metaphor for Military Childhood - Alice Mills: The
  Trials and Tribulations of Two Dogsbodies: A Jungian Reading of Diana
  Wynne Jones's Dogsbody - Marilynn S. Olson: Cats and Aliens in the
  Unreal City: T. S. Eliot, Diana Wynne Jones, and the Urban Experience
  - Charles Butler: Interview with Diana Wynne Jones.

-deborah, kvelling
deborah at suberic.net
--
I don't suppose that I have ever been so happy.  No; was it happiness?
Something wider and darker, more like knowledge, more like the night: joy.