OT De Lint

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 08:05:14 EDT 2002

Dorian, Quoting Ania:

>> I am a fairly recent convert to De Lint and have only read The Little
>> Country so far. It wasn't bad, although the utterly perfect main
>> characters  were a tad annoying (admittedly, they got a little less
>> perfect later on in the book). But I do want to read more; any
>> suggestions/recommendations?
>
> Up until a couple of months ago, my favourite was "Memory & Dream".
> Then Hallie lent me "Trader". :-)  I highly recommend both of these.
> The former is about an artist who gains the gift to have her pictures
> come to life, and contains a wonderfully creepy bad guy.  The latter is
> about a guy who wakes up one day to find he's swapped bodies with
> someone else, and has to cope with this other guy's really crap life.
> In neither book are the main characters super-perfect. :-)  (I'm not
> wildly fond of "The Little Country", btw.)
>
> "Moonheart" is also good, though less stunning, IMO, than the
> afore-mentioned two.  It has one of the coolest houses ever!
> "Greenmantle" is not bad, though the Mafia aspect jars somewhat.  I
> recall quite liking "Mulengro", but I haven't reread it for a couple of
> years, so can't tell you anything other than that the main character is
> a Romany.

Sorry I'm a bit late, but you can always order some more...

We all seem to have had slightly different reactions to CdL, just as we do to
DWJ.  Very healthy.

I too started with The Little Country, which was my favourite until recently.  I
then read Memory and Dream, which I didn't like at all.  (I have since re-read
it, and I do like it now, but it is not among my favourites.)

My favourite now is Someplace to be Flying, but Mulengro is due for re-reading
(Boboko is one of my favourite literary cats) so who knows.

I recently read Dreams Underfoot (thank you Hallie!) which is also excellent.  A
set of short stories on the theme of "I move in more than one world" (ObDWJ)...

Philip (who will probably also be following up some of these CdL
recommendations).

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970