Railways and Gods

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 9 09:58:37 EDT 2002

I've just finished Lisa Goldstein's _Dark Cities Underground_ and it
features both railraods--the underground variety--and ancient Egyptian gods.
It's about a woman writing a book about a famous children's author, and ends
up making connections among children's books in which children discover
hidden worlds, gods, Jungian archetypes and the Underground railways of the
world. There are *lots* of trains in it, and as I mentioned, ancient gods,
mainly ancient Egyptian ones.

I did enjoy it, but there was something about the style that prevented my
getting really involved. It was merely a good book where it could have been
great, if you know what I mean. The characters remained a little flat, and
the prose, which was clean and spare, was perhaps a little too spare.

Other books I've read by her are _The Red Magician_ (her first, and very
good), _The Dream Years_ (about the Surrealists in Paris, also excellent),
_Summer King, Winter Fool_ (which I found rather flat) and I started
_Strange Devices of the Sun and Moon_ (which I started but never finished).
Anyone else read her?

Ros