Eco - framed narratives and also Top fantasy

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 12:24:51 EDT 2002

>From: Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com>
>To: dwj at suberic.net
>Subject: Re:  Eco - framed narratives and also Top fantasy
>Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:49:40 -0700 (PDT)
>

>--- "Ian W. Riddell" <iwriddell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I loved and hated the fact that Eco refused to
> > translate his latin quotes in
> > this book (at least they weren't translated in the
> > edition I read). Of
> > course, the title of the book is meaningless without
> > knowing what the latin
> > phrases mean . ..
> >
> > widdy
>
>Isn't the relevent text translated near the end? I
>seem to recall Eco commenting on the reaction of
>English speakers to the title, which they tend to
>associate with Shakespeares' "a rose by any other
>name.." which is the complete opposite to the actual
>reference.

True. I do remember, thought, that most of the Latin chapter epigraphs had a
great deal to do with naming things, God in particular.

Then again, it's been 12 years since I read the book.

Anyone recommend a similar read (not Foucault's Pendulum, please!)?

Ian
who's asking for a lot of recommendations these days