newest Bujold

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 5 11:15:49 EDT 2002

I know this is a little OT, but I also know that there are people on this
list who have read Diplomatic Immunity, and I wanted to vent. I thought
Bujold's previous book, A Civil Campaign, was really brilliant, and funny
and pushed the envelope of the genre a bit in unexpected ways. DI was a
good read, but I felt it was going a bit backwards, it was very like some
of the earlier stories, without new concepts or excitements: a revisit of
the ideas from Ceteganda (one of my faves) without the gender politics.
Also, I get the impression that Miles' character has stopped developing now
that he has a wife, or maybe this book is just treading water. Thoughts?

And, addressing that impossible question of my favourite fantasy novel from
a previous thread, I would have to say that Bujold's Curse of Chalion is up
there, great plot, and I love what she did with the Gods.

Robyn