George R. R. Martin & Possession

Mon Jul 1 23:29:47 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:08:22 +1200, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

>Robyn said:
>
>Possession is one of my favourite
>> books of all time; and there, I find the frame and setting
>> accurate to the
>> point of hilarity. I'm also one of the only people I know who
>> doesn't skip
>> the poetry parts.
>>
>> Robyn
>
>This is probably a stupid question, but is 'Possession' by George R. R.
>Martin? I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere, though there are lots of
>other books called 'Possession' - by authors as diverse as A.S. Byatt, Louis
>Bromfield and Mazo de la Roche. If anyone has a copy of Robyn's favourite
>book, could you please give me some bibliographical details (there speaks
>the librarian!) so I can add it to my 'Books to Read' list?

Sorry, it's my fault for combining the mention of _Possession_ with a
reference to _Ash_ in a thread about Martin....

It is indeed the book by A.S. Byatt.  It is excellent.  I'm not as thrilled
with the modern day parts (because I don't really like those characters) but
I loved the past sections and in general it's just fabulous.  It's been made
into a movie that is coming out in the US on August 30 (may be earlier
elsewhere).

Melissa Proffitt