2002 Best Books for young adults nominations

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Mon Jul 1 16:47:11 EDT 2002

The following message came across both the YALSA and child_lit
listserves, and I thought I would post it here as well, as there are so
many of us on this list with strong opinions--we might as well take this
chance to make our opinions heard!

Of course, when dwj's new book is out, we'll have to make sure it gets
nominated!

That brings up another point.  Another award in the field of children's
literature is the Phoenix Award, given out by the Children's Literature
Association each year.  It is given to the author of a book for children
published 20 years earlier that did NOT win a major award at the time of
its publication.  So that got me to thinking about dwj.  I believe that
they are now looking at books from 1983 (and will soon start work on
1984).  Anyone know if one of dwj's books was published in either of
those years and did not win any awards?  If anyone wants to nominate some
books (dwj or otherwise), I'll collect them and forward them on to the
committee...

Jackie S.