Dalemark (was Re: George R. R. Martin)

Mon Jul 1 15:50:41 EDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:45:01 +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 11:30:18AM -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>> reaching consensus.  Sort of like our periodic "what order SHOULD the
>> Dalemark books be read in anyway?" discussion.
>
>Oh, and what order *should* they be read in? (evil grin)

simultaneously with _Drowned Ammet_ so it's TRUE chronological order!!!!
(note multiple exclamations)

>Me, I think it doesn't really matter that much, so long as _The Crown of
>Dalemark_ is read last.

That's my real opinion.  I think you get a different effect depending on how
you read those first three, but it doesn't really affect the series.  If I'm
lazy, I usually just tell people to find the second-newest reprints (that
is, American reprints) and follow whatever order they're printed in, because
they have the big ol' numbers on the spines.  Makes it easy for them.

I read _Cart and Cwidder_ in the pre-DWJ days (along with _Power of Three_)
and then I read _Spellcoats_ and STILL did not have the sense to track this
author down.  I had no idea they were part of the same world and had never
heard of _Drowned Ammet_ until the aforesaid reprinting.  So whatever else I
may think about _Crown of Dalemark_, I'm so grateful that it inspired the
reprinting of the others, because _Drowned Ammet_ is my favorite.

Melissa Proffitt