On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 31 16:05:32 EST 2002

>On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:23:10 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:
>
>  >On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>>
>  >>
>>>  I like it too.  Aside from its being subversive (see above) it
>>>  illustrates just how much love does to change your perceptions;
>>>  Maree, for one, doesn't change much, but Rupert learns to love what
>>>  she is.
>>
>>I think you have that the wrong way around.
>>
>>Rupert initially perceives Maree's worst points because he's in a bad
>>mood and she's caused him a lot of trouble (some of which he really
>>caused himself), but once he's calmed down and got to know her better
>>he realises she's a nicer person than he gave her credit for.
>>In other words, he came to love her after his perceptions changed, not
>>the other way around.
>
>I'm talking about his perception of her physical traits, not her
>personality.  When he dislikes her, her wild hair and clothes and such are a
>negative.  When he starts to love her, he begins to see those as positive
>and even attractive.

I'd never even thought of this before, but it struck me that there's
an odd little echo of the Cinderella story in DS.  Maree's getting
the money from Rupert enables her to go buy herself some better
clothes, which makes her feel better as well as look better.  Though
Rupert must be the least gracious fairy godmother ever! :)  But
typically for DWJ, there are so many more layers to it that just
that.  Maree's getting the new clothes lets her give the old ones to
Oxfam, which turns out to be very important on the journey to
Babylon.  And since I'm on a roll of seeing odd connections, there
could also be an inside-out Sleeping Beauty reference - with her
hideous nails like the thorns, only Maree *herself* cuts through
them, once she's not so self-destructively unhappy.

Hallie.

Hallie.