Hexwood -- Catchup

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 04:05:59 EST 2002

<< So I thought it interesting that DWJ set these two
descriptions up as strongly contrasting, and then had Polly envying
Nina's being fat and "the fat, pink staring look" Nina had without
her glasses. >>

I think she had Polly envying Nina altogether. Polly may have been an
extremely pretty little girl, but with Ivy as a mother she sure as hell never
was given much scope to be anything OTHER than an extremely pretty little
girl. And Reg was more than happy to leave Ivy to it. Nina got to play with
trucks and whatever, and seems to have been absolutely unafraid of what
anyone might think of her. (That part of this fearlessness might have been
due to a total lack of imagination is not necessarily something that Polly
might have realized at the age of ten.) I can just imagine the hullabaloo
that would have ensued had Polly tried any of that kind of boldness at home.
Polly very likely would have been throughly trapped in the role of the
"pretty one" had Ivy contiued to pay attention to what was going on about
her, and not developed into the delusionarily, self-absorbed monster she
ultimately became. 10-year-old Polly would have delighted in a bit of the
freedom that Nina's parents lavished on her.

And you should be careful of what you wish for. Because, after she
gatecrashed the funeral, and once Reg and Ivy split, Polly was landed with
more "freedom" than she could handle.