On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Thu Jan 31 01:13:37 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:23:10 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:56:54 -0800 (PST), Ven wrote:
>
>> > I actually find it rather refreshing to have a heroine who seems
>> > to be at least not particularly attractive.  Similarly with Maree,
>> > though I can't exactly remember Rupert's description of her looks
>> > as such - just his thoughts about her horrible clothes, talons,
>> > attitude and all.
>>
>> I like it too.  Aside from its being subversive (see above) it
>> illustrates just how much love does to change your perceptions;
>> Maree, for one, doesn't change much, but Rupert learns to love what
>> she is.
>
>I think you have that the wrong way around.
>
>Rupert initially perceives Maree's worst points because he's in a bad
>mood and she's caused him a lot of trouble (some of which he really
>caused himself), but once he's calmed down and got to know her better
>he realises she's a nicer person than he gave her credit for.
>In other words, he came to love her after his perceptions changed, not
>the other way around.

I'm talking about his perception of her physical traits, not her
personality.  When he dislikes her, her wild hair and clothes and such are a
negative.  When he starts to love her, he begins to see those as positive
and even attractive.

Melissa Proffitt