On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 30 18:23:10 EST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:56:54 -0800 (PST), Ven wrote:

> > I actually find it rather refreshing to have a heroine who seems
> > to be at least not particularly attractive.  Similarly with Maree,
> > though I can't exactly remember Rupert's description of her looks
> > as such - just his thoughts about her horrible clothes, talons,
> > attitude and all.
>
> I like it too.  Aside from its being subversive (see above) it
> illustrates just how much love does to change your perceptions;
> Maree, for one, doesn't change much, but Rupert learns to love what
> she is.

I think you have that the wrong way around.

Rupert initially perceives Maree's worst points because he's in a bad
mood and she's caused him a lot of trouble (some of which he really
caused himself), but once he's calmed down and got to know her better
he realises she's a nicer person than he gave her credit for.
In other words, he came to love her after his perceptions changed, not
the other way around.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."