Hexwood -- Catchup

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jan 30 16:59:21 EST 2002

>On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:20:27 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
>>Which led me to think of F&H (all roads ...).  It's interesting that
>>Polly *is* very pretty, is aware of it, and even goes on about how
>>she wanted to look like Nina.  Anybody have any idea what was going
>>on with the eye-squashing, biscuit stuffing bit?  Maybe it's just me,
>>but it seems a bit unusual, and I can't recall its being explained.
>
>I think the implication is that Nina is overweight, and Polly wants to gain
>weight to look like her.  The eye-squashing thing made me think that Nina
>probably had small eyes, or that her face was plump enough to make her eyes
>look small by comparison.  Apparently she's not fat enough to feel insecure,
>and by the time she hits puberty it's not an issue any more, because she is
>attractive to boys.

Yeah, but that's what I meant was unusual.  I mean, the narrative
says that people might have thought Polly chose to be Nina's friend
to make herself look even better - because Nina was a "big, fat girl
with short,frizzy hair," while Polly was "an extremely pretty little
girl".  So I thought it interesting that DWJ set these two
descriptions up as strongly contrasting, and then had Polly envying
Nina's being fat and "the fat, pink staring look" Nina had without
her glasses.

Maybe there are tons of you out there who WERE extremely pretty
little girls, and did desperately envy less attractive ones, and it
just seemed unusual to me?  I make no apologies for leaving the guys
out here - blame DWJ, not me. :)

Hallie.