Hexwood -- Catchup

Wed Jan 30 15:49:38 EST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:20:27 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Which led me to think of F&H (all roads ...).  It's interesting that
>Polly *is* very pretty, is aware of it, and even goes on about how
>she wanted to look like Nina.  Anybody have any idea what was going
>on with the eye-squashing, biscuit stuffing bit?  Maybe it's just me,
>but it seems a bit unusual, and I can't recall its being explained.

I think the implication is that Nina is overweight, and Polly wants to gain
weight to look like her.  The eye-squashing thing made me think that Nina
probably had small eyes, or that her face was plump enough to make her eyes
look small by comparison.  Apparently she's not fat enough to feel insecure,
and by the time she hits puberty it's not an issue any more, because she is
attractive to boys.  I imagine Polly as a very elfish body-type, willowy as
an adult but stick-like as a child.  (My oldest daughter is like this--no
spare flesh anywhere.  She's so thin she makes her younger sister look plump
by comparison, and Aerin's not even a little bit fat.  But she eats like a
bird--you know, twice her own body weight every day? so I guess it's just
Meant To Be.)

Melissa Proffitt