Hexwood -- Catchup

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jan 30 13:20:27 EST 2002

Ven:

>Now that I have my ISP sorted my computer has begun to
>misbehave, however I am going to do my best to catch
>up.

And what a job you did summarising and replying to everything!  Nice
to have you properly back, Ven.

>Such a lot has been said about Hexwood, and of such
>quality too!  I'm replying from notes, so I apologise
>in advance for any misquotes or misattributions.
>
>Catherine compared Vieirran's low opinion of her looks
>with Sophie's. It's true of Deep Secret's Marie as
>well. It seems to me that this sort of attitude is
>endemic in western society, especially among women.

Yes, I agree, but there is the apparent "confirmation" of Vierran's
looks in Reigner Three's little meditation on her.  Granted she's a
flaming bitch, but still, she does talk about the family good looks
and Vierran's not having got them.  I actually find it rather
refreshing to have a heroine who seems to be at least not
particularly attractive.  Similarly with Maree, though I can't
exactly remember Rupert's description of her looks as such - just his
thoughts about her horrible clothes, talons, attitude and all.

Which led me to think of F&H (all roads ...).  It's interesting that
Polly *is* very pretty, is aware of it, and even goes on about how
she wanted to look like Nina.  Anybody have any idea what was going
on with the eye-squashing, biscuit stuffing bit?  Maybe it's just me,
but it seems a bit unusual, and I can't recall its being explained.

[snip]

>Melissa asked whether people were supposed to forget
>who they were and why they were there when in the
>Bannus field. She thought the Bannus may have changed
>the rules. Two things here: Firstly, if the field was
>supposed to make candidates forget, then remembering
>may have been part of the challenge. Secondly that the
>forgetting may have been due to the process by which
>they came inot the field -- without prior knowledge.
>presumably the original candidates would have known
>what they were up for  == or would they ?!.

Hmmm.  I would tend to think that they would have known, but that's
only going on the snibbets we see of the Reigners thinking about what
they have to do to defeat the Bannus.

Sort of on the same point - Vierran's "remembering" in the hotel, and
finding the taped message on her bracelet-thing was yet another thing
which confused me on this go-round.  If she managed to figure it out
the time she taped the message, what was it about that particular
(previous) scenario which allowed her to sort it out, while on the
one we see, she could only figure it out by the accident of finding
the message?  The two scenarios don't quite seem to gel - either
she's saved by the gadgetry her father has given her, or she's strong
enough to remember  as part of her dealing with the Bannus.

Hallie.