Dursley

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 12:35:16 EST 2002

Sally Odgers wrote:

> ODWJM - do DWJ character names reflect their characters?

Yes, in some cases.  Examples in later books tend to be more sudtle than in
earlier books.

In Wilkins' Tooth, the bully is called Buster Knell, and the witch, Biddy
Iremonger (Iremonger is afaik actually a corruption of Ironmonger, but I think
it's a good name for a witch)

In Changeover, the US Army is represented by General Streif

In Witch Week, the headmistress is called Miss Cadwallader, and the swot, Simon
Silverson

In Howl's Moving Castle, the wizard is called Howl, and the prince, Justin.  (Do
we ever discover the name of the King of Ingary?  I think we don't)

I think the names of the Holand aristocracy - Harl, Harchad, Hadd - reflect
their characters quite well, too.

Not quite the same thing, I rather like the way the Bannus picked names for
peoples' personae in its Arthurian setting - especially the Reigners:

Reigner 2 became Ambitas (Ambi = Both)

Reigner 3 became Morgan la Trey (Trey = Three)

Reigner 4 became Fors

I can't help thinking that some characters' real names were chosen to make good
Arthurian names - Borasus for Bors, Bedford for Bedefer...

Philip.

PS It must be months and months since I last managed to send a message to the
list!  I've been itching to join in the Hexwood and Passage discussions, welcome
the new members, and so on!  Maybe I'll have some time in the near future but
it's unlikely.  I'm off on a course next week, for a start...

PPS On the subject of Dursley, I'm having difficulty not pronouncing Ven's new
e-mail address Ven Dursley...

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, City Point, 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432